Crock Pot Mole Chicken Chili
Adapted from Slow Cooker Revolution
BAH Note: My note in the margin says to “reduce adobo and make a double batch”.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons Minute tapioca
- 2 teaspoons minced chili in adobo sauce
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, skinned
Combine the onions, vegetable oil, chili powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cloves in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high for 5 to 10 minutes, until the onion softens. Transfer the onion spice mixture to the crock pot.
While the onion and spices microwave, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
After transferring the onions to the crock pot, stir in the chicken broth, tomatoes with their juices, peanut butter, tapioca, and chipotle. Add the chicken, cover and cook 4 to 6 hours on low until the chicken is done.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool slightly then shred it into bite sized pieces.
Allow the juices in the crock pot to settle and skim any fat from the surface before adding the chicken back to the pot.