I find it somewhat ironic that for someone who has a hobby devoted to stringing together words into sentences and stories, I am sometimes completely unable to find the right words to express the thoughts in my head. Usually, this bit of irony rears its head when I am trying to convey my gratitude to someone. Too often the words “thank you” just don’t seem enough. Thank you is what I say when someone holds a door open for me or tells me to have a nice day. It’s what I say without even thinking. 90% of the time, it’s enough. But there are moments, the other 10%, when it falls short.
Because expressing my gratitude, especially when someone’s kindness has touched me beyond words, is an affirmation. An affirmation that I am not alone. An affirmation that I am worthy. An affirmation that no matter what the challenge may be, there is grace and compassion in the world. But Hallmark hasn’t come out with that line of cards yet. So until they do, I fall back on a tried and true trick….I wrap my thanks in butter, sugar, and flour.
In my experience, the language of baked goods is universal.
Toffee Shortbread Bites
Adapted from Desserts 4 Today, Abby Dodge
BAH Note: These shortbready cookies have a crumbly dough that should come together in your hands. If you go to form the dough and it will not hold together, add more butter 1 tablespoon at a time, until it will. Because of this diversion from Abby Dodge’s ratio, and some smaller portioning on my part, I squeezed nearly 48 of these beauties out of what should have been a batch of 24 (below).
- 10 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 ounces chocolate covered toffee candy bar, chopped
Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a mini muffin pan with paper liners.
On low speed, beat together the butter and sugar in the workbowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment for approximately 1 minute or until combined.
Add the flour and mix on low for another minute or just until all the flour is combined with the butter and sugar. Stir in the chopped candy bar bits on low just until t hey are mixed into the dough.
Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and place into the prepared pan. Work quickly so that the buttery dough does not start to get soft and melty in your hands. Bake for 15 – 19 minutes, turning the pan halfway through, until the cookies have puffed and the tops look cracked and just a little dry.
Cool on a rack completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.